I watch crappy movies so you don't have to.

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

DVD Review For April 7, 2015: A MOST VIOLENT YEAR

A MOST VIOLENT YEAR
Rated: R
Stars: Oscar Isaac, Jessica Chastain, David Oyelowo
Plot: A heating oil company owner finds himself in a turf war and a battle with the authorities in 1981 New York City.
Trailer

Clint Says: Rent it if you have a couple of hours to kill


Jessica Chastain gives an outstanding, award-worthy performance in this otherwise lackluster film. With a title like A MOST VIOLENT YEAR you'd think there would be a good bit of violence. Well, you'd be wrong. Most of the violence takes place off camera and even then it's pretty tame.

My main thought as I walked out of the theater was, "Who knew the heating oil business was so rough?" I wish I had been thinking, "Wow, what an incredible movie."

The film is slow, tame and the ending is exceptionally anti-climactic. I would say it's a two-hour waste of your time, but that would be unfair to Chastain's performance. She makes the film tolerable.

No comments:

Post a Comment